Many new merit badges and updates to existing ones have been rolled out this summer. Here’s a synopsis:
- The Cycling merit badge adds a mountain bike option. Here’s a story on the changes from Scouting Magazine.
- The Sustainability merit badge became available at the 2013 National Scout Jamboree. Read the requirements and get ready to earn this new merit badge, which will become Eagle-required starting next year.
- The Programming merit badge, a tech-focused merit badge for the 21st century, also was released at Jamboree. Here are the requirements.
- Both traditional and video games are covered by the new Game Design merit badge released earlier this year. Here’s more information on this sure-to-be-popular badge.
Scouts wishing to explore these merit badges should follow the usual procedure by first talking with Mr. Heslop to obtain a blue card and a referral to a counselor.
An update to the Cooking merit badge is expected soon, and it will become Eagle-required in 2014. Also coming in 2014:
- Digital Technology will replace Computers
- Mining in Society becomes available in February 2014
- Animation, Multimedia, and Signs, Signals and Codes will become available in 2014
- Continuing the technical trend, Computer-Aided Design and Advanced Computing are slated for 2015.